Monday, 20 February 2017

DIY Cold Shoulder Ruffle Top


Make Number 1

This weekend I am going to an engagement and wanted to make a nice outfit to wear. What better way to start my new years res of making two things a month than to make something for a huge event 😂

At least it gives me a deadline and forces me to actually finish making a garment!

My aim was to make something really simple but still 'on trend'. But something I can still keep forever as this is the aim of my sewing projects👍

My Pattern Inspiration

In this screen grab of my pintrest board (which you can browse here) you can see the overall look i was going for. My friend actually has the ASOS top from the third pin in and it looks amazing on her, plus I knew it would be suppppper easy to make considering it is literally to rectangles sewn together! So thats just what Ive went for!




Making





 I used some fabric I had bought a while ago. Its an off cut and Im not even sure where I got it! But Im pretty certain its a poly satin, very light! Anyway it drapes perfectly for the look i want.




I don't have an overlocker so I zig-zaged the edges and then hemed them all by turning them in once. (PS: I had the charts on I swear I didn't have that Katy Perry song on for long😂)






 To create the arm holes I sewed a horizontal line 12cm in length to connect the two rectangles at each end. I pinned it on my stand to figure out where to stitch the rectangles together vertically. I just ended up doing 12cm again. This connects the two pieces of fabric to form the top and creates the armhole you can see above.


 Next you just got to add some straps. I measured mine on the stand and they ended up being a lil to big! Annoying cause I hand stitched them on while I was chilling in front of the TV on saturday night and ended up having to unpick the back two and make them shorter! Lesson learned- try it on before 😩  Anyway I machine stitched the back two straps in place because Im lazy and impatient... 





On to the gathers! I was originally planning on placing the  gathers along the top, but I don't think it would be the most flattering on me. So i moved it to under the arm. I also really wanted the top edge of my frill to be on show because It just looks so nice and Boho but in this fabric its looked pretty crappy so I hid the seam, stitching the gather to the front rectangle with a normal seam.



This is it pretty much done now, yay! Im just going to put a horizontal strap along the back to make it sit in place nicer. I will be posting better photos of it this week when I can get Kurt to take some lol.

Just need to decide what skirt to put with it now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment